HC Deb 02 August 1944 vol 402 cc1417-8W
Sir R. Glyn

asked the Minister of Health (1) in what manner have the Housing (Rural Workers) Acts been used since the war for carrying out essential improvements to agricultural workers' houses; what is now the minimum sum that has to be expended to earn the subsidy, in view of the great increase in cyst of labour and materials; and in what other ways have the conditions laid down in these statistics been overridden by wartime regulations of other Departments;

(2) what is the exact procedure that now has to be followed if an owner of agricultural property desires to carry out urgent improvements to agricultural workers' houses under the Housing (Rural Workers) Acts, for laying on water or carrying out improvements, in view of the Regulations issued by the Ministry of Works and other Departments who issue permits and licences which prevent builders accepting contracts.

Mr. Willink

In the early years of the war all private building work had to be restricted to essential repairs. Since January last the Acts have been operated in the ordinary way. The minimum cost of works eligible for assistance remains at £50. The owner should apply to the local authority administering the Housing (Rural Workers) Acts. If the application is approved and assistance granted, no licence is required. The applicant should apply to the Regional Licensing Officer for any controlled materials required, in the case of timber to the Area Officer, Timber Control.