HC Deb 01 August 1944 vol 402 cc1179-80W
Mr. Hewlett

asked the Secretary of State for War under what conditions the full allowance is paid for step-children to wives who have divorced their husbands and retain such children.

Sir J. Grigg

I assume my hon. Friend is referring to the case of another rank who has married a woman with children of her own by a husband whom she has divorced. In this case, provided the children are being brought up in the soldier's household or are maintained at the expense of the soldier elsewhere, the soldier may claim family allowance in respect of those children and it will be paid to the wife. Certain details of this arrangement are still under consideration.