HC Deb 23 March 1943 vol 387 c1481W
Mr. John Dugdale

asked the Minister of Health what arrangements there are for wives and children of serving soldiers to obtain free medical treatment if they are unable to afford to pay a doctor's fee?

Miss Horsbrugh

My right hon. Friend is not aware that the pay and allowances of serving soldiers are insufficient to cover the normal costs of any necessary medical treatment for their wives and children. Moreover, the War Service Grants Advisory Committee have power to supplement the pay and allowances in cases of exceptional hardship, including cases where heavy medical charges are incurred. In any exceptional case which is not met by these arrangements, the wife of a serving soldier who requires medical treatment for herself or her children and is unable to pay for it may apply for free treatment through the district medical service of the county or county borough in which she resides.