HC Deb 19 January 1943 vol 386 cc81-2W
Lieut.-Commander Tufnell

asked the President of the Board of Trade whether all parts of a house used for letting to boarders must be insured as business premises under the War Damage Act, 1941, Part II; whether the landlady must specify her personal effects in her private apartments in order to obtain free compensation; and whether he is satisfied that the law and other provisions on this subject are sufficiently well understood?

Mr. Dalton

Where a person carries on the business of letting accommodation to boarders, the equipment used for the business is insurable under the Business Scheme of Part II of the War Damage Act, 1941, compulsorily if the equipment exceeds £1,000 in value, and otherwise on a voluntary basis. In order to obtain free compensation under the Private Chattels Scheme for his personal effects, it is not necessary for the owner to specify them in advance of a claim. I am satisfied that, in general, the war damage provisions are now understood, but my Department and the Insurance Companies and Lloyd's, who act as agents of the Board of Trade in the issue of policies under the Schemes, are always ready to answer any points of doubt which may be raised by interested persons.