HC Deb 15 October 1942 vol 383 cc1783-4W
Mr. R. Morgan

asked the Chancellor of the Exchequer whether he is aware that a number of non-industrial workers escape payment of Income Tax because they move from post to post and the Inland Revenue authorities fail to send demand notes to their employers although the latter furnish addresses of such employees; and, since this differing treatment causes dissatisfaction among other staff workers who do pay tax, if he will key up his officials to greater rapidity of action?

Sir K. Wood

An employee does not escape payment of tax by changing his employment. In order that any balance of tax may be deducted in the new employment the regulations governing the deduction of tax from salaries and wages require employers to notify the Inland Revenue Department of the change and steps are then taken by the Department to recover the balance by deduction from the wages payable in the new employment. If my hon. Friend has in mind a particular case in which this has not been carried out and will give me details, I shall be glad to make inquiries into it.