HC Deb 10 March 1942 vol 378 c941W
Mr. White

asked the Chancellor of the Exchequer whether taxpayers who have deposited sums in advance with the Board of Inland Revenue for payment of Excess Profits Tax may change over into Tax Reserve Certificates?

Sir K. Wood

A few requests of this kind have been received and I have thought it only fair that persons who before the 23rd December, 1941 (the date of first issue of Tax Reserve Certificates) had paid Excess Profits Tax or National Defence Contribution in advance, in respect of a chargeable accounting period ending after that date, should be allowed to have such advance payment applied to the purchase of certificates bearing for all purposes the date 23rd December, 1941. Similar treatment would be accorded to persons who before the 23rd December, 1941, had paid in advance Income Tax (including Surtax) which for the purposes of Tax Reserve Certificates became clue after that date.