HC Deb 03 March 1942 vol 378 c527W
Mr. Parker

asked the First Lord of the Admiralty whether private mess property in officers' and men's messes and canteen property belonging to ratings is covered by or insurable under the War Damage Act, 1941; and whether, in view of the rapidly-changing personnel in ships and establishments, the Admiralty has issued guiding instructions?

Mr. Alexander

The insurance schemes provided by the War Damage Act, 1941, apply only to goods in the United Kingdom. Goods owned by messes and canteens in naval shore establishments in this country can, in general, be insured under the Business Scheme provided in Part II of that Act. Mess and canteen property in sea-going ships can be insured under Part I of the War Risks Insurance Act, 1939, and the Admiralty have issued orders advising mess and canteen committees, etc., to take advantage of the facilities offered by the War Risks Insurance Office, under that Act, and explaining how this should be done. These orders were issued very early in the war and the advice has recently been repeated.