§ Mr. Wilson
asked the President of the Board of Education what are the proposals for post-war education which have been circulated; to what educational bodies or individuals have they been sent; and why secrecy in regard to them is desired?
§ Mr. Butler
On the instructions of my predecessor, a memorandum has been prepared by some officers of my Department setting out their personal views of the directions in which the educational system stands in need of reform, and their suggestions as to ways in which such reform might be effected. This memorandum was designed to serve simply as a basis for the discussion of educational problems of the future with the representatives of local education authorities, teachers and other bodies, with which the Board are associated in the service of education. It will be appreciated that the proposals in the memorandum may be subject to reconsideration and modification in the light of these discussions, and the memorandum is therefore not suitable for issue as an Official publication of the Department, or1564W as a statement of Government policy. It has accordingly been circulated confidentially for consideration by the representatives of the bodies to which I have referred. Following is a list of the associations to which it has been distributed:
Local Education Authorities' representatives.
- Association of Education Committees.
- County Councils' Association.
- Association of Municipal Corporations.
- Federation of Welsh Local Education Authorities.
- London County Council.
- Association of Directors and Secretaries.
- Federation of Part III Education Committees.
- National Union of Teachers.
- Association of Head Masters.
- Association of Head Mistresses.
- Association of Assistant Masters.
- Association of Assistant Mistresses.
- Headmasters' Conference.
- Association of Principals of Technical Institutions.
- Association of Teachers in Technical Institutions.
- Association of Technical Institutions.
- National Society of Art Masters.
- Tutorial Classes, Joint Advisory Committee.
- Joint Standing Committee of the Training College Association and Principals of Training Colleges.
- Universities, Consultative Committee of Vice-Chancellors and Principals.
- Association of Principals of Recognised Training Colleges of Domestic Subjects.
- National. Froebel Foundation.
- National Society.
- Catholic Education Council.
- National Free Church Council.
- Central Welsh Board.
- Workers' Educational Association.
- Trades Union Congress.
- British and Foreign Schools Society.