HC Deb 15 July 1941 vol 373 c472W
Mr. Lewis

asked the Secretary of State for War what remedy is open to a man who, after 12 months' service in the Home Guard, is discharged without reason given, and whose written request to his battalion commander for an explanation is ignored?

Mr. Law

Any member of the Home Guard who thinks himself wronged has a right under the Army Act to complain to his company and battalion commander, and, if necessary, to the military area commander. If my hon. Friend knows of any case in which a member of the Home Guard appears to have been denied the means of making his complaint and will let me have particulars, I shall be glad to look into it.

Dr. Morgan

asked the Secretary of State for War whether a private or non-commissioned officer in the Home Guard is entitled to write to his Member of Parliament without the risk of being reprimanded by his commanding officer, who obtains knowledge of his communication through War Office inquiry on representations by his Member of Parliament; whether he has considered a striking example of such action in the Western Command; and what action does he propose to take?

: The answer to the first part of the Question is "Yes,

Captain MargessonSir." As regards the last two parts of the Question, I am informed that the Home Guard liaison officer in the Western Command has interviewed the member of the Home Guard concerned, and the latter agrees that there was no question of reprimanding him for writing to his Member of Parliament.