HC Deb 30 January 1941 vol 368 cc687-8W
Mr. Palmer

asked the Minister of Health whether all classes of persons who evacuate themselves unofficially from vulnerable to reception or neutral areas have the right to ask assistance in finding accommodation from billeting officers; and, if not, what limitations exist?

Mr. M. MacDonald

The initial responsibility for finding accommodation for persons who have evacuated themselves and cannot find their own lodgings rests with the Public Assistance authorities. Provision for more permanent accommodation when required for persons who have left evacuation areas is made by the billeting authorities, either by means of billeting on householders, or by the use of empty houses, or by way of hostels. These authorities are not called upon to provide accommodation for men.

Mr. Groves

asked the Minister of Health whether he is aware that evacuated mothers with children, either in billets or hostels provided by the local authority, are not, at any rate in one district in the South-West of England, provided with free medical treatment however urgent the treatment might be and however poor the patient may be; by what authority the local authority refuses payment for such cases; and will he have this condition of things remedied?

Mr. MacDonald

I am not aware of the difficulty mentioned by the hon. Member, but I shall be glad to make inquiries if he will send me particulars.

Forward to