HC Deb 29 April 1941 vol 371 c356W
Mr. Lyons

asked the Minister of Agriculture whether, having regard to the slow progress that is being made with subsidised land drainage, he will arrange for the appointment of a drainage engineer and surveyor to each region who will be responsible for the lay-out and the placing of contracts for the work with suitable firms who have the labour, plant and pipes available, seeing that farmers are too busy and too short of labour to do or arrange the work themselves?

Mr. T. Williams:

The existing drainage authorities already have drainage engineers or officers acquainted with the areas for which they are responsible. The most urgent need is for farm ditching and the clearing of minor streams and watercourses. Contractors are employed as much as possible, the civil engineering firms for constructional work and agricultural contractors for farm drainage. My right hon. Friend does not consider that the change of organisation suggested by my hon. Friend would be either practicable or desirable.