HC Deb 12 November 1940 vol 365 cc1611-2W
Sir L. Lyle

asked the Chancellor of the Exchequer whether, in view of the arrangements for the replacement of destroyed household furniture, he will state the procedure to be followed by the tenant in acquiring new furniture and in paying for it; and whether such tenants must work in close co-operation with the local authority?

Sir K. Wood

The existing arrangements provide for the payment of compensation by the Assistance Board to per- sons who have suffered war damage to essential household furniture, where the income of the household does not exceed £400 a year. Application can be made at any place where the Assistance Board is transacting business, i.e., at any of its permanent offices, or at any temporary office which it has opened to deal with war damage claims. The address of the nearest office of the Board can be ascertained from an A.R.P. post, or from a Rest and Shelter Centre, or from the town hall. If the applicant can call in person he should do so as soon as possible after the damage has been incurred, but if the applicant is infirm, or if the damage is in the country and there is no office of the Board in the neighbourhood, he can send the Board's officer a letter and special arrangements will be made to take an application from him.