HC Deb 08 May 1940 vol 360 c1240W
Mr. Kirkwood

asked the Secretary of State for Scotland whether he is aware that the £2 per acre subsidy for ploughing is being paid for many fields whose drains are silted up beyond the power of tenants to repair; and whether in these circumstances he will compel landlords to carry out their obligations and repair the drains, or, in default, carry out the work himself at the landlord's expense?

Mr. Colville

Payment of the ploughing subsidy is made on certificates furnished by the Agricultural Executive Committee concerned, and it is a condition of payment that the land ploughed must be capable of producing satisfactory arable crops or of being improved by reseeding to grass. As regards the second part of the Question, the responsibility for keeping field drainage in good repair is usually that of the tenant, and Government grants are available for this purpose. Agricultural Executive Committees have power under the Defence Regulations to give directions to landlords or tenants for the repair of drains where they deem such repairs necessary for the purpose of increasing or maintaining food production.

Forward to