HC Deb 27 June 1940 vol 362 cc617-8W
Mr. T. Smith

asked the Minister of Health how provision for Belgian and other friendly alien refugees is made when private hospitality is not available; whether the cost of this maintenance is borne wholly by the Exchequer; if payment is made by the Unemployment Assistance Board or public assistance authorities to those who are destitute: what is the weekly rate per head for adults and children placed in houses previously unoccupied and who cater for themselves; and whether this rate is uniform in all areas which have refugees?

Miss Horsbrugh

These refugees, if they are not in a position to maintain themselves, are either billeted on householders who offer accommodation with or without board, or are accommodated in empty houses. The Government has given to local authorities an undertaking that any additional expenditure falling on them because of the reception of refugees will be met from the Exchequer. Refugees billeted without board and those in empty houses may, if in need, apply for an allowance from the Assistance Board. These applications are dealt with on the basis of the statutory regulations approved by Parliament for unemployment assistance.