HC Deb 25 July 1940 vol 363 c1010W
Mr. Spens

asked the Secretary of State for War (1) whether, when it is necessary in any area to require the owners or occupiers of any premises to remove themselves and their possessions so that vacant possession may be taken for the purpose of defence works, he will procure that, when necessary, immediate financial assistance will be forthcoming, either from a military officer on the spot, or through the local authority, for the purpose of enabling such persons to move themselves and their property, or that adequate transport facilities hall be otherwise provided;

(2) whether, when it is necessary in any area to take possession for military defence purposes of part only of a house occupied by residents, some immediate payment will be made, or weekly rent paid, either through a military officer on the spot, or the local authority, in respect of the part so taken, particularly in those cases where part of the family or their possessions have to be moved and housed elsewhere?

Mr. Eden

The compensation payable when, under Defence Regulations, possession is taken of a property in whole or in part is prescribed in the Compensation (Defence) Act, 1939, and covers reasonable removal expenses. Claims have to be rendered in a prescribed form and manner, and the amounts payable have to be assessed and agreed with the claimants. But, in cases of need, payments on account can be made. The Lands Staff in Commands, who are responsible for this work, have already been increased in number, and I am taking steps to increase them further.