HC Deb 24 July 1940 vol 363 cc829-30W
Mr. Thorne

asked the Minister of Health whether he will consider authorising the local authorities to increase the allowance to the unemployable blind to meet the increased cost of living?

Miss Horsbrugh

The amount of financial assistance, if any, to be granted to a blind person is a matter for the decision of the county or county borough council concerned. The council are empowered, therefore, to vary their rates of allowance to meet alterations in the cost of living without any authority from my right hon. Friend.