HC Deb 08 August 1940 vol 364 c456W
Sir L. Lyle

asked the Minister of Information whether he will in future send notifications of any kind affecting the life of residents in a Defence Area first of all to the clerk to the local authority and not to private residents so that the local authority which has the primary task of safeguarding the interests of the community may know direct what is officially suggested and the reason for such a policy?

Mr. Nicolson

Official instructions and notifications affecting the life of residents in Defence Areas are normally issued by the Government Departments concerned through the clerk of the local authority for communication to all concerned, and my Department frequently gives publicity to these through the machinery of the regional organisation of the Ministry of Information and other channels.