HC Deb 23 November 1939 vol 353 cc1451-2W
Mr. Parker

asked the Minister of Agriculture what powers county agricultural committees have to improve rough grazing; whether they can compel such land to be ploughed and re-sown; and whether an improvement of pasture is accompanying the ploughing up programme?

Sir R. Dorman-Smith

Under the Defence Regulations, committees have power to give directions as to the cultivation, management or use of agricultural land, which would include rough grazing and in suitable cases those committees may direct that such land shall be ploughed up and cropped or be sown. I hope that farmers who plough up grassland will see the advantage of improving the condition of their remaining grassland, and I have this matter under active consideration.