HC Deb 07 November 1939 vol 353 cc65-6W
Mr. Thurtle

asked the Secretary of State for War whether he will state the simplest and most effective procedure for hon. Members to adopt when they receive complaints from their constituents regarding financial hardship caused by the calling up of men for service and in respect of which hardship no allowance has been made?

Mr. Hore-Belisha

If the persons concerned are wives who have not received family allowance, the simplest and most effective procedure is to bring the case immediately to the notice of the regimental paymaster of the man's unit, giving his name and Army number.

If they are dependants who have not already applied for an allowance, they should be advised to go to the nearest post office and ask for a form of application and a copy of "Notes for Guidance of Dependants," which will tell them what to do.

If the case is one in which the normal allowances are inadmissible or are claimed to be insufficient, the person concerned should be advised to write to the regimental paymaster of the man's unit, as shown on the "Notes for Guidance" already referred to, and ask for a form (M.S.A.C. 21) on which to apply for special assistance.

If there is immediate need of assistance to prevent distress, application should be made to the nearest office of the Ministry of Labour for temporary help under the Government scheme for the prevention and relief of distress.