§ Mr. Stokes
asked the Parliamentary Secretary to the Board of Education whether the Board has given its approval to the acquisition by the Luton Borough Council, under compulsory powers, of 2,397 square yards for school purposes in New Town Street; whether the site has been acquired, and, if so, what was the price paid; for what purpose the land had been used; and what was its rateable value previous to acquisition?
A compulsory purchase order for the acquisition of 2,604 square yards of land (in five portions) in New Town Street, Luton, was confirmed by the Board in November, 1937, and the land is now in the possession of the local education authority. The total price paid for the land was £4,375. It was previously occupied by a house and shop, nine cottages, and off-licence premises. Information as to its rateable value is not available.