§ Mr. Garro Jones
asked the Secretary of State for Scotland, in reference to the advertisement last month for persons, with a knowledge of the herring industry to act as local port officers, how many applications were received, the names of those appointed, and the conditions of service applicable in each case?
§ Mr. Colville
I am informed by the Herring Industry Board that 163 applications were received and that nine appointments have so far been made, namely:
- Peterhead, Mr. W. B. Sutherland.
- Fraserburgh, Mr. R. H. Johnston.
- Macduff, Mr. Stanley Paterson.
- Lerwick, Mr. George McGee.
- Stornoway, Mr. William Donaldson.
- Castlebay, Mr. F. Smith.
- Mallaig, Mr. A. N. Cunningham.
- Clyde Area, Mr. A. Thomson.
- North Shields, Mr. L. Thomson.
I understand that the appointments are temporary and that these officers will, under the direction of the Board and with the assistance of local Consultative Committees, carry out the duties of regulation which in previous years were delegated to area committees.