HC Deb 07 March 1938 vol 332 cc1550-1W
Sir P. Dawson

asked the Minister of Labour whether he is aware that the Secondary Schools Headmasters Employment Committee as a rule can only find work for boys leaving secondary schools in ordinary office work; that there is no centre where boys, before leaving school, can secure individual advice on industrial careers; if, in view of the desirability of suitable boys entering industry, he will set up a section in the Ministry where boys can get comprehensive up-to-date information as to what industrial careers are open to them and how and to whom they can apply for employment; and take steps to give financial assistance to boys who are suited to enter industry who are at present barred either because a premium is demanded or because their earnings to start with are too low to allow them to enter industry?

Mr. E. Brown

A comprehensive advisory and placing service for boys leaving secondary schools is provided by local Committees for Juvenile Employment attached to the Employment Exchanges, and by the Juvenile Employment Bureaux of Local Education Authorities. In certain areas, including London, these local services are supplemented by Secondary School Employment Committees for wider areas.

It is true that the vacancies dealt with by this machinery are predominantly in office work. This is due in part to the wishes expressed by boys and their parents, and in part to the greater facility for obtaining notification of such vacancies. I should welcome fuller cooperation from employers in notifying openings for industrial careers and making known their advantages.

Under the Juvenile Transference Scheme, assistance may be given, where necessary, to enable boys who are transferred to suitable industrial employment to meet their living expenses for a limited period, but this does not extend to the payment of premiums.