HC Deb 03 March 1938 vol 332 cc1303-4W
Sir A. Wilson

asked the Minister of Health what local authorities have power by private Act of Parliament to deal in milk and coal and to treat household, street, or trade refuse?

Sir K. Wood

So far as I am aware, only the corporation of Sheffield have a local Act power to deal generally in milk. Five other local authorities have a limited power to sell prepared milk for infants. I am not aware of any local authority having such a power to deal in coal. The treatment of house, street, and trade refuse is ordinarily dealt with under general legislation now included in Section 76 of the Public Health Act, 1936. Express local Act powers have also been obtained for the manufacture and disposal of artificial stone from refuse by a number of authorities, the most recent case being in 1930.

Forward to