HC Deb 07 February 1938 vol 331 c690W
Mr. Hall-Caine

asked the Home Secretary whether his attention has been drawn to the proposal of the Racecourse Betting Control Board to limit their allocations from the totalisator fund for charitable purposes and the purposes of improving breeds of horses and advancing veterinary science to 10 per cent. of the balance thereof; and whether it is intended that the remaining 90 per cent. shall be allocated solely to purposes conducive to the sport of horse-racing or divided fairly amongst all the purposes referred to in Sub-section (6) of Section 3 of the Racecourse Betting Act, 1928?

Mr. Lloyd

The proposal to which my hon. Friend refers does not limit the discretion of the board to recommend to my right hon. Friend the disbursement of more than 10 per cent. of the balance for the purposes to which he refers. The scheme merely involves the distribution of 10 per cent. through the Trustees in order that Income Tax may be recovered.