HC Deb 24 July 1935 vol 304 c1853W

asked the Minister of Labour on what authority men called up for volunteer military training are told by the officials of employment exchanges that they will not receive during the period they are in training transitional benefit for their wives and children, and that they should apply to the official of public assistance for relief; and will he take steps to avoid putting this additional burden on the local authorities?

Lieut.-Colonel MUIRHEAD

I assume that the hon. Member is referring to unemployment assistance allowances. I am informed by the Board that where an applicant in receipt of an allowance attends a military training camp he is able to receive before leaving for camp the allowance which would become due to him on the following pay-day. Where the absence at camp is prolonged over the next succeeding pay-day the Board is advised that the applicant is not a person who has no work, or only part-time or intermittent work, and the allowance must accordingly cease.