§ Mr. HICKS
asked the President of the Board of Trade whether the special committee referred to in paragraph 50 of the Report of the Committee under the chairmanship of Viscount Chelmsford (Cmd. 3726) has been appointed; if so, whether he will state its personnel; and whether it has yet issued a report?
§ Mr. RUNCIMAN
Yes, Sir. The Committee was appointed in May, 1931, and consists at present of the following gentlemen:—
- Sir Basil Mayhew, K.B.E. (Chairman), (Chartered Accountant).
- Mr. John Beard (Transport Workers' Union).
- The Right Hon. Lord Bethell, J.P. (Banker).
- Mr. T. Howorth (Chartered Accountant).
- Mr. Frank Hunt, C.V.O. (Valuer to the London County Council).
- Mr. William Leitch, C.B. (Assistant Secretary, His Majesty's Office of Works).
- Mr. G. H. Locock, C.M.G. (Director of the Federation of British Industries).
- Sir Sidney Skinner, J.P. (Past President of the Incorporated Association of Retail Distributors).
- Mr. Claude Taylor, C.V.O., O.B.E. (Department of Overseas Trade and Secretary of the British Industries Fair).
Several changes have taken place in the personnel of the Committee since their appointment. Sir Gilbert Garnsey, the first chairman, died in June, 1932, and was succeeded as chairman by Viscount Chelmsford, and on Viscount Chelmsford's death in April, 1933, by Sir Basil Mayhew. Mr. Thomas Howorth was appointed to serve in the place of Sir Robert Donald, who died in February, 1933. Sir Gilbert Vyle died in September, 1933, but his place was not filled. The Committee have presented their report, which is now under consideration.