§ Mr. GROVES
asked the Minister of Transport if he will consider setting up a departmental committee to determine what steps can be developed to ensure uniform and more up-to-date street lighting; and will he give due representation to local authorities upon such committee?
§ Mr. HORE-BELISHA
A departmental committee was appointed in June of this year with the following terms of referenceTo examine and report what steps could he taken for securing more efficient and uniform street lighting with particular reference to the convenience and safety of 2475W traffic and with due regard to the requirements of residential and shopping areas, and to make recommendations.
The committee includes three local government officials and is constituted as follows:
- Mr. F. C. Cook (deputy chief engineer, Ministry of Transport) (chairman).
- Mr. J. F. Colquhoun (public lighting engineer, Sheffield).
- Mr. C. A. Masterman (chief technical officer, Gas, Light and Coke Company).
- Major W. H. Morgan (county engineer, Middlesex).
- Mr. C. C. Paterson (chairman of the Illumination Research Committee, Department of Scientific and Industrial Research; director of Research Department, General Electric Company).
- Mr. E. S. Perrin (Ministry of Transport).
- Major L. Roseveare (borough engineer, Eastbourne).
- Mr. J. R. Taylor (Ministry of Health).
- Dr. J. W. T. Walsh (National Physical Laboratory).
- Secretary, Dr. H. F. Gillbe, Ministry of Transport.