HC Deb 26 February 1932 vol 262 cc718-9W

asked the Secretary of State for Foreign Affairs whether he will request the British trustees, appointed in accordance with Section 1, Sub-section (3) of the China Indemnity (Application) Act, 1931, to report to him annually what moneys the Board of Trustees has received under the Act and to what objects mutually beneficial to China and the British Empire such moneys have been allocated; and whether such reports will be laid before Parliament?


The members of the Board of Trustees, whether British or Chinese, are appointed by the Chinese Government and can only report to that Government. As regards the moneys due to the Board, I would refer my hon. Friend to page 49 of Cd. No. 2766 of 1926. Under the Act the Board will receive one-half of each annual instalment as set down in that paper. As regards the objects on which these funds are to be expended, I would refer him to Cd. Paper No. 3715, of 1930, pages 11 et seq.