§ Mr. MANDER
asked the First Commissioner of Works the present members of the Ancient Monuments Board; how many meetings have been held in the last two years; what steps are being taken to hasten scheduling under the Ancient Monuments Act, 1913; and why only 12 monuments have been so dealt with in Staffordshire?
§ Mr. LANSBURY
The present members of the Ancient Monuments Board for England are:
- Sir Lionel Earle, K.C.B., K.C.V.O., C.M.G. (Chairman).
- Sir George Duckworth, C.B., F.S.A.
- Sir Reginald Blomfield, R.A., F.R.I.B.A.
- Sir Banister Fletcher, P.R.I.B.A., F.S.A.
- R. A. Smith, Esq., F.S.A.
- E. R. Dalrymple Maclagan, Esq., C.B.E., F.S.A.
- W. Page, Esq., V.P.S.A.
- R. C. Bosanquet, Esq., F.S.A.
- A. W. Clapham, Esq., Secretary S.A.
- Colonel J. W. Robinson Parker, C.B., F.S.A.
- Sir Charles R. Peers, C.B.E., P.S.A., F.B.A., F.R.I.B.A.
- Right Hon. Sir Charles Trevelyan, Bart., M.P.
The Board has met twice in the past two years. Scheduling is being pressed forward with all the speed possible having regard to the numbers of the permanent staff, and to the fact that much of the information has to be supplied with the aid of voluntary local correspondents. I am informed that Staffordshire is not rich in ancient monuments, but I will have inquiries made into the possibility of accelerating the progress of scheduling.