§ Mr. K. GRIFFITH
asked the Financial Secretary to the Treasury if he will give details of the species of bird plumage illegally imported and confiscated under the Importation of Plumage Act, 1921, during the year 1931 to 30th September, together with the approximate quantity of plumage involved in each case?1098W
§ Major ELLIOT
The following is a list of birds, the plumage of which was illegally imported and was confiscated by the Customs Authorities under the Importation of Plumage (Prohibition) Act, 1921, during the period 1st January, 1931, to 30th September, 1931, together with the approximate quantity of plumage involved in each case.
Name of Bird and Approximate amount of Plumage.
- Amandavat—2 millinery mounts.
- Bird of Paradise—284 millinery mounts, 3 skins, 1 tail, 2 wings.
- Chaffinch—1 skin.
- Crowned Crane— head.
- Egret-15 single feathers, I small bundle of feathers, 116 millinery mounts.
- Emu—2 skins, 1 millinery mount. Finch—5 millinery mounts.
- Gull, black-headed—1 millinery mount. Heron—1 ornamental feather spray, 14 millinery mounts.
- Indian Roller—2 wings.
- Kingfisher—6 millinery mounts, 110 ornaments each with a small amount of this plumage.
- Lyre Bird—1 tail.
- Owl—2 wings.
- Parrot—2 skins, 3 ornaments.
- Peacock—106 single feathers, 24 fans, 1 skin, 3 breasts, 1 tail, 1 millinery mount.
- Argus—2 millinery mounts.
- Copper—5 millinery mounts.
- Lady Amherst—7 millinery mounts.
- Reeves—2 millinery mounts.
- Silver—1 millinery mount.
- Sparrow, common—27 millinery mounts.
- Stork (Leptoptilus)—1 fan.
- Teal, Falcated—19 millinery mounts.
- Teal, Formosan—12 millinery mounts.
- Thrush, Song—1 millinery mount.
- Vulturine Guinea Fowl—1 piece of skin with neck feathers.
- Widow Bird—2 tail feathers.
Two parcels containing plumage not identified, but clearly within the prohibition, were also seized.