§ Mr. J. GUEST
asked the President of the Board of Trade (1) if his attention has been called to the serious danger to life caused by a leakage from the gas main in a Leeds street and to the evidence given at the inquest on two persons who died from gas poisoning in Pontefract last week when it was stated that the gas supplied for domestic consumption contained 13 per cent. of carbon monoxide, whereas 1 per cent. of carbon monoxide in the atmosphere would be sufficient to cause death; what is the maximum percentage of carbon monoxide permitted by the Regulations of his Department; whether, in view of the many lives that have been lost owing to the change in quality and composition of gas now being supplied, he will have a full inquiry made and suitable steps taken to safeguard the public from this increasing danger:
(2) If he is aware that the more dangerous quality of gas now being supplied to consumers in many parts of the country is the outcome of a cheaper method of production; and has he any information as to whether this has resulted in a less cost to the consumer or larger profits to the producing companies?
§ Sir P. LLOYD-GREAME
I would refer the hon. Member to the statement which I made on the Motion for the Adjournment on the 21st February, in which I dealt, more fully than is possible in an answer, with the points raised in his questions.