HC Deb 10 December 1928 vol 223 cc1722-3W
Major GLYN

asked the Secretary of State for the Colonies whether he is yet in a position to make any statement in regard to the granting of a concession by the Palestine Government for the right to extract chemical salts from the Dead Sea; what is the reason for the delay in granting this concession; and whether the work will be entrusted to a British undertaking, the rights and royalties being reserved for the benefit of Palestine?


I am awaiting a reply from the Trans-Jordan Government on points of detail which they recently raised in connection with the draft concession. Some delay is inevitable when points of detail have to be discussed with two other Governments, but I hope that a final decision will be taken shortly. As regards the last part of the question, the position is that, as the hon. and gallant Gentleman was informed on 15th December last, it has been decided in principle to grant the concession to Major Tulloch and Mr. Novomeysky, subject to terms satisfactory to the two Governments concerned being agreed upon.