HC Deb 30 November 1926 vol 200 cc1018-9W

asked the Minister of Health whether there is any way in which an insured person, being a member of an approved society, about to settle permanently in one of the Dominions, can obtain a refund of any portion of the sums already contributed; whether such a person would be treated as entitled, when permanently settled abroad, to such a partial refund if he had, whilst in this country, left his approved society and become a deposit contributor; how such a person, before leaving this country, can obtain the necessary transfer form to become a deposit contributor; and what steps should be taken by him to ensure his eventually obtaining any refund to which he may be entitled under the Health Insurance Acts?


An insured member of an approved society is not entitled to a refund of any portion of his contributions on emigration, but by remaining in the society he can safeguard his position as to health insurance and pensions benefits in the event of his returning to this country before his insurance rights terminate. A deposit contributor, who becomes permanently resident outside the United Kingdom, may, on cessation of his insurance, be paid one-half of the amount standing to his credit in the Deposit Contributors' Fund.

A member of an approved society who desires to terminate his membership and become a deposit contributor, should apply to the Central Department for the necessary form of notice, which he should then forward to his society with the transfer fee. Any application by a deposit contributor for the refund on emigration, should similarly be addressed to the Central Department.

It may be pointed out that the Royal Commission on National Health Insurance have recommended the discontinuance of the payment of a sum to a deposit contributor on emigration.