§ Mr. SHORT
asked the Financial Secretary to the Treasury whether he can state the number of new staff employed in connection with the administration of the Widows, Orphans' and Old Age Contributory Pensions Act, and the salaries thereof?
§ Mr. N. CHAMBERLAIN
I have been asked to reply. The number of new staff employed in connection with the administration of the Pensions Act is 548, of whom 192 have been engaged on a temporary basis. The grades and substantive salaries of the new staff are as follow:
- Assistant Inspectors (Men), £100—£400.
- Assistant Inspectors (Women), £100—£300.
- Clerical Officers (Women), £60—£180.
- Writing Assistants, 18s. to 36s. a week.
- Temporary Male Clerks, 52s. 11d. to 69s. 10d. a week.