HC Deb 13 May 1925 vol 183 c1871W
Major GLYN

asked the Minister of Transport how many rural district councils in England and Wales have asked for a grant from the Road Fund to assist the local rates in maintaining the condition of roads, other than those, classified as Class I and Class II; and in how many cases has the reply of the Ministry of Transport been that no money can he given by the grant of a contribution from tin Road Fund unless improvements are contemplated?

Colonel ASH LEY

I regret that I have no record of the number of rural district councils who have asked for grants towards the cost of maintaining unclassified roads. The request has, however, been a frequent one, and the reply given has been that, although funds are available and have been widely accepted for the improvement of such roads, including tar spraying and resurfacing, grants are not made towards the upkeep of unclassified roads