HC Deb 04 May 1925 vol 183 cc617-8W
Colonel DAY

asked the Home Secretary what tests are laid down by the Com- missioner of Police for the Metropolis before a driver's licence is granted for a motor omnibus or a taximeter cab in London; is he aware that the London County Council grant ordinary motor drivers' licences without any tests at all; and will he, in the interests of public safety, take steps to unify the tests for all motor drivers' licences?

Colonel ASHLEY

I have been asked to reply to this question. Before a licence is granted by the Metropolitan police to a person to act as driver to a public carriage (including cabs, omnibuses and tramcars) the applicant must produce a certificate of medical fitness and must also pass a practical test of his ability to drive. When a man reaches the age of 65, or at such other times as the licensing authority may direct, a further certificate of medical fitness may be required. In answer to the last part of the question, I would refer the hon. and gallant Member to the answer which I gave on the 18th February last to the hon. Member for the Hallam Division, of which I am sending him a copy.