HC Deb 26 March 1925 vol 182 cc662-3W

asked the Minister of Health if he will issue a statement detailing the provisions in any of the Housing Acts enabling loans to be granted to owners for enlarging, improving, and reconstructing houses of the cottage class in agricultural areas, and stating the amount of the loans which can be made in respect of any given house?


Housing authorities, including rural district councils, are empowered by Section 22 of the Housing, Town Planning, etc., Act, 1919, to lend money to owners proposing to carry out works for the reconstruction, enlargement or improvement of houses: under this Section the loan may not exceed one-half the estimated value of the property mortgaged unless some additional or collateral security is given. Under Section 5 of the Housing Act of 1923, loans may be made to persons proposing to alter existing houses; and the advances may be made up to 90 per cent. of the value of the property. The powers of this Section may be exercised not only by the housing authority but also by the county council. The amount of loan which can be made in respect of any given house, must of course depend on the circumstances of the particular premises.