HC Deb 23 March 1925 vol 182 cc73-4W

asked the Minister of Agriculture whether, in view of the serious flooding of the low-lying areas in Somerset, he will consider the appointment of an engineer to examine the position with a view to the improvement of the drainage within the areas specified, and to advise as to the widening and grading of the rivers and rhynes?


The areas referred to are within the jurisdiction of the Somerset Drainage Commission or the Somerset Commission of Sewers. Each of these bodies has a permanent engineer, but the Somerset Commission of Sewers desire an independent survey of part of their area. I am unable to detail an engineer from my Department, but at the request of the Commission I have suggested the names of suitable engineers in private practice whom the Commission might wish to employ.