HC Deb 08 April 1925 vol 182 cc2257-9W
Major GLYN

asked the President of the Board of Education whether a person holding a position as a male clerk on the permanent staff of a county education authority, on transfer to a similar position under a county education authority in another part, of the country, is entitled to urge that a certificate of exemption in respect of unemployment contributions may be taken into account in that authority, provided there has been no break or change in employment, and that it is recognised that such transfer is, in effect, as one from one branch of the local government service to another, and not the commencement of work under new and different conditions?


I have been asked to reply to this question, which I assume relates to certificates of exception and not to exemption from Unemployment Insurance on the ground of private income or pension. Certificates of exception granted to education authorities under Part II (d) as amended, of the First Schedule to the Unemployment Insurance Act, 1920, apply only to employés who have completed three years' service in their permanent employment under the particular authority to which the certificate of exception has been granted. Under the Statute, service under other authorities cannot be reckoned towards the satisfaction of this condition as to completion of three years' service, unless the service under the, other authorities is aggregated with service under the present authority for the purposes of superannuation, under statutory provision. In those employments in which service is not so aggregated the employé must serve for three years before he can become excepted, whatever his previous employment may have been.