§ Mr. CLARKE
asked the Secretary for Scotland what steps he is taking, or proposes to take, so as to ensure that houses of two apartments will be excluded from receiving the Government subsidy, in view of the fact that certain municipalities have already approved of plans for a number of these, and that 50 per cent. of the existing houses are of one or two apartments?
The Scottish Board of Health have informed local authorities proposing to promote housing schemes with State assistance:
1. That for houses to be erected by local authorities, either under the Housing Act of 1923 or the Scheme for the Improvement of Insanitary Areas, the percentage of two-apartment houses in any instalment of houses shall not exceed 25 per cent. of the number of houses in such instalment, the remaining 75 per cent. to be houses of three or more apartments;
2. that in the case of houses to be erected under schemes for the improvement of insanitary areas, the minimum superficial area shall be 510 feet for two-apartment houses, and 650 feet for three-apartment houses, and
3. that in the case of houses to be erected by local authorities under the Act of 1923, the minimum superficial area shall be 550 feet for two-apartment houses, and 650 feet for three-apartment houses.