HC Deb 16 February 1922 vol 150 cc1223-4W
Major GLYN

asked the Home Secretary whether he will take steps by legislation or otherwise to give power to the Chief Commissioner to act if information is given to the police of abnormal noise or such heavy weights being borne by motor vehicles in the streets of London so as to disturb householders by noise and shaking?


The powers in regard to noise of traffic at present possessed by the police relate only to (a) engine running and (b) improperly-silenced motor vehicles. Vibration is largely a question of road surface, and would more properly fall to be dealt with by the road authority. I do not think that I can hold out any hope of legislation at present.