asked the Minister of Transport whether the allocation of moneys by the Road Department is subject to Treasury approval; whether the money allocated is paid over to the authority to whom it is allocated quarterly, and, if so, in what proportion; whether any amount is retained for reserve, and, is so, what amount; whether the amount received from motor taxation is kept in a separate account, and, if so, whether the interest received on the same accrues to the advantage of that account?
§ Mr. NEAL
The reply is in the affirmative, all allocations by the Minister being subject to Treasury approval. The money allocated is paid against requisitions submitted by local authorities showing the 433W expenditure actually incurred and immediately anticipated. These requisitions are submitted quarterly in the case of grants towards maintenance, and payments on account on a 90 per cent. basis are made; the remaining 10 per cent. is held in reserve till final settlement. In other cases no periods are specified, but local authorities submit claims as they require further funds. The amount received from the motor taxation (less certain statutory deductions for sums due to local authorities under Section 2 (2) of the Roads Act, 1920) is paid into the road fund account, and all interest received accrues to the advantage of that account.
asked the Minister of Transport what is the amount which has been collected up to date in motor taxation; what amount from this has been allocated to local bodies; what amount has been paid out of this to highway authorities; what amount has been allocated in loans; and, when repayments are made, what happens to the money so returned?
§ Mr. NEAL
The total proceeds from motor taxation to 31st October, 1921, are £10,437,997 2s. 6d. The whole of this amount, less statutory deductions, has been paid to the road fund and has been allocated to road works, and in the main to local authorities. All payments (including advances by way of loan) are made out of the road fund generally, and not out of particular collections. All sums received by way of repayment of loans or by way of interest are credited to the road fund.