HC Deb 03 March 1921 vol 138 c2038W
Lieut.-Colonel A. MURRAY

asked the Secretary for Scotland whether he can make any statement to the House regarding the acquisition by the British Museum of the specimen of early Scottish art known as the Hilton-of-Cadboll stone; and whether, having regard to the fact that but for the War this stone would probably have been scheduled under the Ancient Monuments Protection Act, he can hold out any hopes that those concerned in the matter will permit it to remain in Scotland?


The trustees of the British Museum have been good enough at my request to postpone their decision as to the acceptance of the Hilton-of-Cadboll stone until I have had an opportunity of communicating with Captain Macleod of Cadboll, who is the owner of the stone. He has, I regret to say, been ill, but I hope that I may be able to discuss the matter with him at an early date.