HC Deb 10 March 1920 vol 126 c1297W
Captain COOTE

asked the Secretary of State for War why boy service is not allowed to count as qualifying service for pension; and whether he is aware that in the case of men still serving they can, by serving for an extra period, make good the period lost in boy service, but those who have completed their service cannot?


A man is pensioned for man's service, not for boy's. The boy is graded and paid differently from the private. The boy is enlisted for twelve years' colour service, while the man enlists for a few years with the colours and the balance in the reserve With regard to the latter part of the question, the position under Section 85 of the Army Act is that a soldier who has completed 21 years' service and has not been discharged may serve for a further period if the competent authority approves, but he has no claim to do so.

Forward to