HC Deb 26 February 1920 vol 125 cc1921-2W

asked the Secretary of State for War if nothing more can be done to assist the wife of Private J. Wilding, No. 320,750, Tank Corps, than the allowance of 9d. per day from his pay; is he aware that Mrs. Wilding has two children to support, and has a Court Order against her husband for £1 12s. 6d. per week now he has joined the Army, and the regimental paymaster states that only the amount mentioned can be paid to her from his Army pay; and whether he can make arrangements for this man to be compelled to pay more to the support of his wife and children or that they shall be put upon the strength of the married establishment, she being at present a charge upon the Poor Law?


Under the Army Act, the maximum amount that can be stopped from the pay of a private soldier for the maintenance of his wife and family is 9d. a day. The question of increasing this amount is under consideration. Private Wilding is not eligible under the terms of his enlistment to be placed on the married establishment.