§ Mr. L. SCOTT
asked the Under-Secretary of State for the Colonies what authority or powers have been delegated by His Majesty's Government to the Imperial Mineral Research Bureau; whether the bureau has been instructed to investigate and report on the question of grants or concessions of bauxite-bearing properties in British Guiana; whether it has yet presented such a Beport; and, if not, when the Report may be expected?
§ Lieut.-Colonel AMERY
The powers and functions of the Bureau are set out in the Charter of Incorporation which is published as an appendix to the Progress Beport issued by the Bureau in September, 1919, and printed by the Stationery Office. The professional adviser to the Secretary of State for the Colonies on mineral questions has from time to time been asked to advise on points arising in connection with the bauxite industry in British Guiana, and I understand that he has consulted his colleagues on the Bureau. The Bureau has not been asked to examine into such questions on behalf of the Colonial Office, and the further points included in my hon. Friend's question do not, therefore, arise.
§ Mr. SCOTT
asked the Under-Secretary of State for the Colonies if he will give a list of the personnel of any committee or committees of the Imperial 2145W Mineral Research Bureau dealing with bauxite, showing the occupations of the members of the bureau and the firms or companies, if any, with which they are associated?
§ Lieut.-Colonel AMERY
The constitution of the only committees of the Bureau to which questions relating to bauxite are referred is, according to the latest report of the Bureau, as follows:—
- Mr. J. W. Evans, D. Sc, LL.B., F.R.S.,F. G.S., Professional Adviser to the Secretary of State for the Colonies on minerals.
- Mr. B. Seligman, Ph.Nat.D., Society of Chemical Industry.
- Mr. Murray Morrison, Institute of Metals.
- Mr. A. A. Robertson, Australian Alum Company.
- Mr. Henry J. Jack, Aluminium Corporation, Limited.
- Mr. F. W. Gower, Birmingham Aluminium Castings Company, Limited.
- Mr. William Mills, William Mills, Limited.
- Mr. A. T. Smith, Castner Kellner Alkali Company, Limited.
- Mr. Kenneth Chance, M.A., F.I.C., British Cyanides Company, Limited.
- Mr. H. Spence, Peter Spence and Sons, Limited.
- Mr. A. Holmes, D.Sc, D.I.C., A.B.C.S., Imperial College of Science and Technology.
- Mr. F. S. Newall, Washington Chemical Company.
- Mr. Emile Cohn, Vickers, Limited.