HC Deb 28 October 1919 vol 120 c482W

asked the First Lord of the Admiralty whether he will take steps to see that men who are awaiting their pensions are given their service certificates instead of being handed a temporary discharge paper, which is of no assistance in obtaining employment?


My lion. Friend's reference to a temporary discharge paper indicates that the question has relation to men discharged invalided. These men are granted a provisional Certificate of Discharge for use while awaiting settlement of their pensions. We forward the Service Certificates to the Pensions Ministry, with the invaliding documents. It is for that Department then to issue these; and any question regarding the non-receipt of the same should be addressed to the Pensions Minister. I observe that my hon. Friend says that the temporary discharge paper is of no assistance in obtaining employment. I regret to hear that. Both the man's rating and his general character are set forth upon the face of the document, and employers may be satisfied that the Service Certificates, when issued, will not be less favourable.