HC Deb 10 November 1919 vol 121 c63W

asked the Secretary of State for War whether a man, a hairdresser by trade, who joined the Army and took the tools of his trade with him overseas, and who lost such tools on being taken to hospital and is now, after demobilisation, unable to obtain employment at his trade in consequence of having no tools, has any right to claim compensation for such loss; if so, to whom should such claim be made; and, if not, whether any fund exists which would be likely to consider favourably such an application?


Strictly, a man has no right to claim compensation in such a case, but if the man referred to by my hon. and gallant Friend forwards an application to the War Office, stating the exact circumstances in which the tools were lost, and giving a complete list and description of them, the matter will receive full consideration.