HC Deb 02 June 1919 vol 116 c1707W

asked the Secretary of State for War whether, where through a bonâ fide mistake the wife of a soldier has made an insufficient claim for dependent children, she is debarred, if the soldier has been demobilised, from making an effective claim for arrears on the mistake being discovered; and under which Regulation the claim is refused?

Captain GUEST

The practice has been that separation allowance, being for current maintenance of the children, is issued from date of first application. It is not possible, when an account has been closed by the demobilisation of the soldier, to make the necessary inquiries into belated claims and reopen the account.