§ Mr. GILBERT
asked the Parliamentary Secretary to the Board of Agriculture the 2064W days and hours that Kew Gardens are open to the public free and for payment; what is the charge to the public; whether, in view of the small number using the gardens on paying days, he will increase the number of hours of free admission; if the gardens are open on Sunday and during what hours and on what conditions; and if any restrictions are placed upon photographers, and what they are?
§ Mr. PRATT
The Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew, are open to the public on every day in the year except Christmas Day. The hours during which the gardens are open are:
A charge of 3d. is made for the admission of photographic apparatus. The restrictions placed on photographers will be found in paragraphs 2, 6, 7, and 8 of a printed leaflet, a copy of which has been sent to my hon. Friend.
- From 15th May to 15th October, 10 a.m. to 8 p.m., or one hour before sunset, whichever is earlier.
- From 16th October to 14th May, noon to 8 p.m., or one hour before sunset, whichever is earlier.
- Sundays and Good Friday, 1 p.m. to 8 p.m., or one hour before sunset, whichever is earlier.
- The expression "one hour before sunset" applies only to the period of official summer time. During the remaining period of the year the gardens are closed at 8 p.m. or sunset, whichever is earlier. The charges for admission are:
- On Mondays, Wednesdays, Thursdays, Saturdays, Sunday and Good Friday, 1d.
- On Tuesdays and Fridays, except Good Friday (students' days), 6d.
- There are no free days. [The proposal to have free days was negatived by the-Treasury on financial grounds.]